Ukraine: The fake images ‘showing Ukrainian resistance to the Russian army’
Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began on February 24, images purporting to show Ukrainian acts of resistance have been shared widely on social networks. The Ukrainian population is indeed carrying out a strong resistance in several cities, but some of these posts are actually images taken out of context and have nothing to do with the ongoing conflict.
This animation video circulated online months before Russia’s attack on Ukraine
A video has been viewed tens of thousands of times on Facebook alongside a claim it shows Russia bombing Ukraine. The video was shared shortly after Russian forces invaded the neighbouring country. But the video has been shared in a false context: it is actually an animation clip that has circulated online since at least October 2021.
Misleading post claims Syria footage shows Ukraine conflict
A Facebook post claims a video shows fighting in Ukraine. This is misleading; most of the footage was shot in Syria and released by Kurdish forces, while part of the clip is taken from CNN coverage of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Footage shows Ukraine in 2022, not Russia in 2018
Social media posts claim US broadcaster ABC misrepresented a video of a 2018 gas explosion in Russia as footage from the war in Ukraine. This is false; the clip was shot in Ukraine by a Turkish news agency, and a similar video from AFP confirms that the incident took place following Russia’s 2022 invasion of its eastern European neighbor.
Video footage from 2014 misleadingly cast as Russian invasion
Footage of armored vehicles set alight by Molotov cocktails on a Ukrainian street is being presented on social media as local resistance against Russia’s ongoing invasion. This is false; the recording is from Ukraine, but it was shot in 2014 in Kyiv during the country’s popular protest movement, when demonstrators torched the army’s vehicles.
Video game falsely shared as ‘live footage’ of Ukraine conflict
As Russia pressed on with its invasion of Ukraine, a video clip was viewed thousands of times in Facebook and YouTube posts that claimed it showed live footage of the fighting. In reality, the footage was taken from a combat video game called ARMA 3.
Fake CNN tweet falsely reports first US casualty in Ukraine
Social media posts claim CNN lied to the public by tweeting that a man was the first US casualty in Ukraine after previously featuring the same photo in a post about his execution in Afghanistan. This is false; the network says the tweets are not from its official accounts, and the man pictured is a YouTube video game commentator who continues to livestream on the platform.
New Russian nuke weapon dubbed Satan 2 cannot destroy ‘everything breathing in the world’
Russian state media says the missile can destroy an area the size of Texas or France, not the world. We could not find more objective reports detailing the same destructive power.
“Individual warheads would strike distinct targets within a very limited ballistic ‘footprint,’ or many warheads from the same missile would strike the same target, increasing the likelihood of destroying that target completely,” according to a 2021 report from EurAsian Times.
The weapon is believed to be able to evade missile defense systems and its deployment is expected around 2022, said a March 1 Congressional Research Service report.
We rate the claim that a Russian nuclear weapon dubbed Satan 2 is “capable of destroying everything breathing in the world” False.
Posts falsely claim Steven Seagal with Russian forces in Ukraine
Social media posts feature an alleged CNN tweet that claims American actor Steven Seagal took up arms alongside Russian special forces in Ukraine. But CNN said the tweet — which includes an image of Seagal in fatigues and carrying a weapon — is fake, and his representatives also rejected the claim, saying the actor wants peace for both countries.
Photo of children sending off Ukrainian troops is from 2016, not 2022
The viral image of children waving off troops dates back to 2016. It does not depict the current conflict between Ukraine and Russia.
Our ruling
Social media posts claim that a viral image, which shows two young children holding hands and saluting troops, was captured in Ukraine in 2022. But the photo traces back to 2016.
We rate these posts False.
Fact-checking claims that NATO, US broke agreement against alliance expanding eastward
No legal agreement prohibits NATO from expanding eastward.
Russians have argued that comments made by U.S. and other Western leaders during the negotiations over the reunification of Germany constituted a promise that NATO would not extend beyond then-East Germany. Those allegations have sparked decades of debate amongst those involved in the events, and scholars studying them.
Even scholars who say they believe western powers did offer the Soviet Union assurances about NATO expansion say Owens’ claim is misleading.
Our ruling
Owens said, “NATO (under direction from the United States) is violating previous agreements and expanding eastward.”
There is an ongoing historical debate over comments that Western leaders, including Baker, made during post-Cold War negotiations, and whether what they said amounted to assurances that NATO would refrain from welcoming in countries closer to modern-day Russia.
But NATO as an organization made no such pledge, and the formal agreement signed at the end of those negotiations said nothing about the alliance not expanding eastward.
We rate this claim Mostly False.
Is Russia using mobile crematoriums in Ukraine? – Truth or Fake
British website The Telegraph is reporting that Russia is using mobile crematoriums in Ukraine in bid to hide its losses. But the accompanying video footage of a crematorium actually dates from 2013. It was posted by a Russian incinerator construction company and is not footage from the ground. The use of mobile crematoriums by Russians during the current war in Ukraine is yet to be verified. We tell you more in this edition.
Fact check roundup: What’s true and what’s false about the Russian invasion of Ukraine
False and misleading information about the Russian invasion of Ukraine has spread rapidly on social media since Russian forces launched a military assault in the pre-dawn hours of Feb. 24.
Here’s a roundup of claims related to the Ukraine-Russia conflict analyzed by the USA TODAY Fact Check team.
Ukraine: These videos do not show a Russian tank running over a civilian in Kyiv
On Twitter, videos from February 25 showing a military tank running over a car in the Obolon district of Ukraine’s capital city Kyiv have garnered over ten million views. But contrary to what some users claim, this is not a Russian tank deliberately running over a civilian. There are many indications that the incident actually involved a Ukrainian tank.
FAKE: Ukrainian forces shelled Vesela Hora on 23 February 2022
There is no evidence of Vesela Hora being shelled by the Ukrainian army
5 fakes of the war in Ukraine
5 fakes of the war in Ukraine including:
#1. “Celebrating the war”. Video claims to show Russian soldiers dancing before heading to the frontline in Ukraine. In reality, dancing was in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
#2. “Russian jets launching attacks” – False. Video is from video game “Arma-3”.
#3. “Formation of jets over an urban areas” – Not from war in Ukraine. Video is from a 2020 Moscow air show.
#4. “German news shows hundreds of Russian soldiers allegedly parachuting over the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv” – False. Old video from Russia (2016).
FAKE: Ukrainian commando group crossed the Russian border in Rostov region
Ukraine haven’t trespassed Russian border and didn’t send commandos or APS’s across the border
FAKE: All calls will be recorded, social media will monitor communication
This claim has been shared in several waves in at least three countries, but it is nothing more than an attempt at inducing panic
This video shows an explosion in Beirut in 2020, not Russian strikes on Ukraine in 2022
After Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, dramatic footage of a huge explosion was viewed tens of thousands of times in social media posts that claimed it shows buildings destroyed by Russian air strikes. In fact, the video shows a deadly blast that ripped through the Lebanese capital Beirut in August 2020.
Video does not show ‘Russian jets over Ukraine’ — it has circulated in old posts about air show rehearsal
A video of military planes flying in formation over residential buildings has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times in posts that claim it shows Russian fighter jets entering neighbouring Ukraine in February 2022. The posts circulated online within hours of Russian President Vladimir Putin unleashing a full-scale ground invasion and air assault on Ukraine. The footage, however, has been shared in a false context. It has circulated since at least 2020 in social media posts about rehearsals for a Victory Day air show in Russia.